humbly charismatic, thrifty design ideas from my home to yours...

Friday, February 18, 2011

It's the little things...

Hi there.  I know it's been a while since my last post, but we've had a lot going on recently. Drama, hiliarity, grieving, surprises... Never a dull moment.  Honestly, I think we could have a VERY successful reality show here at the Walker house.  Anyone have connections with TLC? 

So here we are; back to decor.  This post is all about what to do with the little things.  You know, the knick knacks?  Where to put them?  How much is too much?  What goes together?  Do they have to match?  Well, I don't have all the answers but I do have some suggestions.  #1 Stay away from "figurines."  So no more of your mama's Home Interiors ceramic animals or Little Boy Blue.  Venture away from living things to boxes, buckets, baskets. #2 Used and abused is cool.  The tattered and torn, destressed look is still in.  That's why picking up vases, plates and books at a thrift store is so clever.  They look "antiqued," and that alone gives them character.  And character is just what we want in our homes.  #3 Display your mismatched treasures throughout your house, in small groupings.  Preview them in places sure to bring about conversation, easy for guests to see.  For just a few dollars, you can make a room get all kinds of attention! Take a look at some of the items I've used in my house to add some flavor:

  Every section atop my kitchen cabinets is filled with items just like this...very eclectic, very used. You're looking at about $5 worth of classic vintage art.  The center plate is hand-made, with pieces and pictures of old magazines pasted on in clear shellac. It's beautiful!  The vase is fire-glazed black with its lid, and the large plate is a leopard print that someone just "threw away." What??  I have bowls, baskets, an iron peacock, a flour bucket, and of course, an owl up there too.  They all have some black involved to create a touch of uniformity.


Very simple Apothecary jars.  These are everywhere now.  Pick some up and fill them with goodies in the kitchen.  One of my favorite fillers is wine corks.  These sit on top of the fridge (please ignore the dust), and never stay filled with candy or dog treats for long.


Have an empty space that just needs "something"? I did.  I already had the shelf and the goofy wooden bird.  Luckily, I found the plaque at Dollar General, and looky looky, it has a birdy!  Then, I paired it with a ceramic knoll post from Old Time Pottery and a small flower in a glass vase.  It works.


Here's a parade of used items on top of our entertainment center in the family room.  Simple, unorganized decor.  I have since removed the red vase.  I like things grouped in 3's, and it was the odd ball out.  (place your finger over it on the screen, and I'd think you'd agree). Now it hold stems of Hydrangeas in the kitchen.


Hurricanes!!  Fill them with whole coffee beans and short (solid color) pillar candles, then put them anywhere.  Not only do they look classic and clean, they make your home smell like an Italian Cafe'.  These are on my dining room table.
 

I change my mantel display often (usually seasonal), but here's what I have now. Simple, not too cluttered.  Large oil lantern, stack of books, 8 x 10 of the kids in a RED frame, and a bucket of hydrangeas.  Remember, you need a little red in every room.


And last but not least, mirrors.  Hang different sized mirrors (or empty frames) in a grouping for an unparralled design effect. Instead of one large mirror in the dining room, which was very popular in the late 90's, I stacked smaller ones, in no particuliar order, above the chair rail. Anyone can do this!


Get to it!

1 comment:

  1. Your ideas are VERY cool! As soon as we move to STL this summer, would love to implement some of these...Michele

    ReplyDelete