humbly charismatic, thrifty design ideas from my home to yours...

Friday, February 4, 2011

Inaugural post

So, here it is.  After playing around with blogger.com for three hours, I have finally created a pretty cool layout for my new blog.  Much like the decor in my house, I'm sure it will change several times over the next several days and weeks, until I am settled.  But you're here for ideas right?  Here we go.

Before I start posting pictures and sharing ideas, I'd like to tell you a little about my style.   Thriftiness is in my blood.  Like my mother, I'm always looking for the deal.  I rarely pay full price for an item, unless it's a magazine that will give me ideas on how to make or decorate on a dime.  We didn't have much money growing up, so we shopped yard sales and clearance sales on the weekends.  I watched my mom sew all our clothes, paint her own furniture, and even weave the bottoms of our own dining room chairs.   Although, I don't have that Potato Box with a hand-painted little village girl carrying a water bucket shining in her acrylic beauty on the front, Mom's savvy creativity stuck with me.  I would have that Potato Box painted a destressed Buxton Blue with ticking stripe lining,  making it a perfect diaper can in a nursery.  See how it works?  Not only am I thrifty, I'm eclectic.  I have a "Pottery Barn" type of style, but it's quirky.  I subscribe to its catalog, but never purchase the items.  Why?  Simple.  Spend $349 for a wooden ladder to hang over the dining room table, or pick one up from a thrift store for $5, and grab the lanterns to hang from it for a dollar a piece will you're there.  I'm not too matchy-matchy either.  Colors mix well if you just "let them."  Mix patterns and hues of the same colors; bring in some modern with the antique to create depth.  Take risks.  Supplement your purse with hand-sanitizer and cash, drive to the thrift store, pick up a few of my key items.   Let the fun begin...

KEY ITEMS to get you started:
(pick these up when you see 'em. I'll show you where to put 'em)
- pair of vintage lamps
- large trunk
- side table w/ drawer
- baskets / buckets of different sizes
- collection of mirrors
- books, lots of books
- large open picture frames
My coffee table is a trunk I got for $10 at a garage sale. 

This 8"ceramic angel was $.50 and makes a great addition to my mantel.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I feel the same about lots of books. Thank you for sharing your talent. d

    ReplyDelete