humbly charismatic, thrifty design ideas from my home to yours...

Monday, February 7, 2011

Make it. Don't break it.

Here we go...  Let's get down to the nitty-gritty and talk about your creative side in decorating.  One thrifty idea is to make your own decorations.  There are a few items in my house that I've seen in magazines or catalogs, and with a couple of trips to the local craft store, or heck, even Wal-Mart (Wal-Marts, as we say around here), I have put together some pretty cool pieces.  Take a look, and then get busy crafting.  You'll be amazed at the money you can save, and your neighbors and friends will be impressed with your "embodiment of creativity."  Wow, that's deep.


 
The words or phrases are limitless here.  Simply print off letters in cool fonts from you home computer.  Frame them, in mismatched (even different sized) frames.  I chose to do our last name on a large wall in the family room.  These are all 8 x 10 frames, with one large "K" that I picked up on the clearance shelf at TJ Maxx.  A mirage of letters like this would be perfect in a child's room. 


I will not tell a lie. I will not tell a lie.  I actually didn't make this one, but I could have very easily.  Frame a piece of magnetic board and cover it with a patterned fabric.  Large buttons, hot-glued to round magnets, hold pictures and notes in place.  Oh, and by the way, the orange tin bucket hanging next to it came from a thrift store too.  It was $1, and holds our out-going bills. 


Ok, I'm not finished with this one yet.  My plan is to frame it. These are square cardboard tiles that my mom brought home from work.  I painted them with chalkboard paint and hung them together on the wall.  There are 12 in all.  I doubt I'll find a frame that is the exact dimensions.  It's actually very large, 4' x 3', so I'll probably piece one together around the edges.  It's great for your favorite quotes, grocery lists, schedules, calendars, and lists of chores.


Saw this one in a Pottery Barn catalog.  I picked up the purse rack at TJ Maxx for $7.  I framed the inside stanzas of a greeting card (a lovey-dovey one), a picture of hubby and me, and left one round frame empty, even the glass removed.  They hang by pieces of jute rope from Hobby Lobby.  Unique, unique unique.


My kids think this one is silly, but I love it.  Print off a cute picture (I'm into owls right now), and frame it.  This one sits on our computer desk.


Get creative with fonts.  Pick a cool phrase or song lyric.  Type it up in fun fonts and frame it.  This one says "Where Troubles Melt Like Lemon Drops," from The Wizard of Oz.  I printed it on white paper and put a piece of colored scrapbook paper behind it to create a mat.  It hangs in a hallway.  You know, those spaces that need "something," but not "too much."  Yeah, this was the fix.


One of my favorites.  I made this one during Christmas this year to hold our holiday cards.  Now it's in my bedroom and displays sweet cards that my husband and I have given each other through the years.  It's so simple too.  Just pick up an open frame at Hobby Lobby.  They're usually 50% off.  I think I paid $10 for this one.   Stretch twine across the back (five or six lengths) and staple the ends to the sides of the frame.  Grab some small bull clips or clothes pins to hold your "love notes."  Wah-lah.


This little arrangement is on top of my chest of drawers.  Zoom in on the candles.  I bought some vintage water goblets at the thrift store for $3 a piece. Directions: Grab a bag of Soy Wax at any craft store, and melt it in a small Crock-Pot, or a pot on the stove on low would suffice, along with some scented oil (should be on the same aisle).  With a dollop of glue on the bottom of the wick, stand it up in the glass.  Pour the hot wax, and the smell-good into the glass.  Let it cool, harden, and then enjoy your homemade candle.  By the way, these same type of candles sell at a boutique here in town for $26 a piece.  I made a boo-cooddle of these for that amount of cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment